- Nominees must have been a member of the Southern Chapter and the Medical Library Association for at least 10 years.
- Nominees must be well known within the Southern Chapter membership for dedicated and continuing service to the chapter and must have served the chapter with distinction in several different capacities, such as:
- Serving in elected or appointed office
- Serving as committee chairman or active committee member
- Representing the chapter on national or regional organizations
- Actively participating in annual meetings by presenting papers or posters, chairing concurrent paper or poster sessions, organizing special sessions, or otherwise sharing his or her professional knowledge and values