July 6, 2016

Member Spotlight: Sandra G. Franklin

Every month, we would like to take a moment to learn more about a fellow librarian and SC/MLA member.  For July*, we would like you to meet Sandra, SC/MLA's 2015 Academic Librarian of the Year.  

Name: Sandra G. Franklin

SC/MLA Member Since: 1983

Officer/Committee Positions:   Too many committees to list, so here are the highlights!
  • Southern Chapter
    • Co-Chair, SC & MAC Joint Conference and Co-Chair Local Arrangements, 2006
    • Chair of Strategic Planning, 2006-2007
    • Chair of Nominating Committee, 2005-2006
    • Chair, 2004-2005
    • Chair-Elect/Program Chair, 2003-2004
    • Secretary/Treasurer, 1994-1995
  • Medical Library Association
    • Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Level, since 1997
    • National Program Committee, Atlanta Local Assistance Committee Chair, 2015-2018
    • Board of Directors, 2013-2016 (Secretary 2014-2016)
    • Search Committee to Appoint MLA Executive Director, 2014
    • National Program Committee, MLA Austin,TX, 2012-2015
    • Nominating Committee, 2008-2009 officer elections
    • Leadership and Management Section, Treasurer, 2007-2011
    • Credentialing Committee, Member 2001-2004; Chair 2004-2005

 
First Professional Position:
Librarian/Cataloger 1977-1979
Lyman B. Brooks Library, Norfolk State University, Norfolk, VA
Current Position:
Director September 2002
Woodruff Health Sciences Center Library, Emory University, Atlanta, GA

Education:
  • Master of Library Science, University of Maryland, College Park, MD, 1977
  • Bachelor of Science, History Education, Cum Laude, Hampton Institute, Hampton, VA, 1976
  • Including numerous CE and leadership courses, WHSC fellows program, workshops, webinars, etc.

Favorite website, blog, or twitter feed:
I’m all over the Internet in a variety of scholarly topics, when I have free time.  I am beginning to spend time weekly in social media interacting with family, colleagues, and friends from the past.

How did you become interested in medical librarianship?
My first position after moving to Atlanta was in the Mercer University School of Pharmacy library. We provided research assistance for the PharmD program at GA Baptist Hospital.  I thank Elizabeth Jackson for the opportunity.  I attended Miriam Libbey’s medical librarianship course at Emory and that confirmed my career focus.

What do you love most about your job?
What I love most about my job is the accountability of being a leader.

What has been your biggest professional challenge?
Annual budget negotiations and recruiting personnel… both impact the success of the library.

What do you do to recover from a long work week?
Babysit my grandson, soon to be grand kids; teach Sunday school; shop online (more browsing than spending); outings with family and friends.

Anything our readers might find surprising about you?
I played the clarinet and oboe in high school and college.  I sing in the Gospel Choir at my church. 

When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
Initially, a teacher like my Mom, before my interest shifted to becoming a lawyer.  During college, I decided to become an Archivist, after several research intensive projects with my advisor and a classmate.  We created historical brochures for the city of Hampton, VA.

*Yes, I skipped June. Sorry!


No comments:

Post a Comment