The Martha C. Watkins Memorial Scholarship was established in 1996 to honor Martha Watkins, who was not only a founding member of the Southeastern Conference of Hospital Librarians (SCHL), but also a friend and mentor to a generation of hospital and other health sciences librarians in the South.
She spent many years educating hospital library managers, instructing student and staff users of library services, and providing information to rural and underserved healthcare personnel. The scholarship was begun with SCHL's treasury after the organization disbanded in 1995.
Application and procedures and qualifications for the scholarship are as follows:
- Applicants must be current Southern Chapter members, who work in a hospital library and who want to take a course or workshop at the Southern Chapter annual meeting.
- The amount awarded will not exceed $500.00, and can be used to defray any expenses necessary for the fulfillment of the course (tuition, travel, etc).
The goals for this award are as follows:
- To help Southern Chapter members gain skills and knowledge needed to improve their roles in providing optimum patient care.
- To support participation in professional opportunities which might not otherwise be available because of lack of funds.
- To enhance the role of hospital librarians in maintaining their cutting-edge managerial skills in the face of changing social forces which affect hospitals.
- To promote the sharing of knowledge gained with other hospital librarians in consortia or other cooperative relationships.
To apply for this award, see here.
Please apply by July 15, 2017.